What You'll Need:
- 1 orange
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice (or 1 fresh squeezed orange)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- nutmeg, cinnamon, and brown sugar (no real measurements, just to sprinkle on top to taste)
1. Layer sweet potatoes in baking dish.
2. Top with 1 very thinly sliced orange.
4. Stir in the orange juice and vanilla extract.
5. Cover and bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.
6. Uncover and bake 30/45 minutes or more until tender and browned, spooning sauce over potatoes half way through. (This ended up being another hour for me), but the softer/mushier the potatoes are the better).
7. Sprinkle nutmeg, cinnamon, & a pinch of brown sugar on top. I thought it was sweet enough so I left out the brown sugar, but add in as much as you want of any of these to taste.
8. You can either leave as is, or now start mashing into mashed potatoes.
Stay posted for more holiday side dishes leading up to Thanksgiving!