If you are one of those people who have always been intimidated by making your own cranberry sauce & have always just used store bought or canned, this post is for you :) This homemade cranberry sauce is seriously so, so easy to make that you will never want to use canned again. And not only is it easy peasy but it tastes amazing. Be prepared for your friends and family to "oooh" and "ahhhh" over this and they will call you "Martha" and hate you for it but that's okay, they don't need to know how ridiculously simple this was to make.
What You'll Need: (I doubled this for our Thanksgiving since I'll be serving 8-10 people)
- One 12 oz bag fresh cranberries
- 1 Cup orange juice
- 1 Cup white sugar (optional split with brown sugar (2/3 white and 1/3 cup brown)
- Peeled orange rinds from 1-2 oranges
- Orange preserve or raspberry preserve
- Optional 2 oz gold rum
1. Dissolve sugar in OJ over medium heat.
2. Stir in cranberries and orange rinds and cook for about 15 minutes or until you hear cranberries start to "pop."
3. Add in several dollops of orange or raspberry preserve for a "thicker" sauce.
2. Remove from heat, transfer to dish, & serve at room temperature. It looks runny at first but the sauce will thicken upon standing. It can be made days ahead of time and brought to room temp or slightly heated before serving - so go ahead and try it out today!
Hope you enjoy & have a Happy Thanksgiving!!