making my own skincare products and cleaning agents, I've been finding all sorts of random uses for them around the house and in my everyday life. I'm absolutely obsessed with essential oils for several reasons: first, they smell absolutely amazing (favorites: lavender & rosemary), second, the oils are extracted directly from roots, wood, flowers, fruits and/or leaves and thus are 100% pure and contain absolutely no chemicals or toxins, and lastly and perhaps most incredible thing of all is that essential oils have healing properties. Each contains certain properties to help heal certain ailments as well as promote health in specific areas.
Below is a list of ways I currently use my essential oils, a few of these I have not yet tried out yet but hope to soon:
For The Home:
- Added into homemade all-purpose cleaning agents (vinegar, water, and baking soda combined in spray bottle). Favorite essential oils to mix to this are Lemongrass, Bergamot, Lime, or Orange, or a mixture of any of those.
- Soak washcloths in Lemon essential oil mixed with water to disinfect germs
- To clean and increase shelf life of fresh fruit: fill bowl with water and Lemon essential oil. Drop fruit into water and stir.
- Carpet deodorizer: Add approximately 10 drops of Lemon, Lavender, Geranium, Peppermint, or Ylang Ylang essential oil to a box of baking soda. Mix well and then sprinkle over carpets. Let set, then vacuum.
- Home aromas: Put favorite essential oil in oil diffusers that are either plugged into the wall or in designated spot or filter on humidifier. I like Lavender, Rosemary, Vanilla, Grapefruit, Sweet Orange, Cinnamon, Peppermint, and Clove.
- Add your favorite essential oil to a spray bottle filled with water to use as an air freshener.
For Your Health (Mind, & Body):
- Apply Tea Tree or Lavender to cuts, scrapes, or scratches (or combine in water bottle and spray onto cuts/scrapes).
- For colds and sinus congestion, Lavender, Eucalyptus, & Rosemary (optional to combine with 1 cup milk or cream) and pour into hot bath.
- Grapefruit essential oil promotes focus, alertness, & helps stimulate memory
- A good mood booster & fatigue fighter is the Peppermint essential oil.
- Juniper Berry, Cedarwood, Grapefruit, Lavender, Losemary, & Lemon help soften and soothe the effects of a hangover. Blend all or some of these oils in a hot bath.
- If have a fever, soak washcloth in water with Eucalyptus, Peppermint, and Lavender and apply to face, head, or sponge bath.
- For headaches, massage a few drops of either Lavender or Peppermint onto temples.
- For sore joints/muscles, ass Eucalyptus, Sage, and/or Basil essential oils to Jojoba Oil and massage onto affected areas.
- For better sleep, Chamomile and/or Lavender essential oils aroma in room (plug in diffusers or added to humidifiers) or in sheets (when drying sheets, drop a few drops into a cloth and drop into dryer with them).
For Your Skincare, Hair, & Beauty Needs:
- Add your favorite essential oil to oil cleansing facial mixture
- Add your favorite essential oil to homemade natural facial scrub.
- To use as a skin toner: Mix 8 oz water with a few drops Lavender, Palmarosa, & Rosewood essential oils. Shake and apply to skin with cotton ball.
- Deep oil conditioner for dry hair: Mix Rosewood, Lavender, Sandalwood, Geranium, and Jojoba oil and apply to hair in hot shower. Keep in for 10-20 minutes and then rinse out.
- Add your favorite essential oil to a carrier oil for massages (coconut oil, castor oil, jojoba oil work well)
- For a body moisturizer or lotion, add your favorite essential oil to carrier oil in spray bottle (jojoba oil and castor oil work well. For dry skin try sunflower oil, or a mixture of each of these)