The title of this recipe sounds a little crazy because I threw so many ingredients into this, but honestly, it it's like a really good party in your mouth. I make a lot of regular banana bread, chocolate chip banana bread, and banana nut bread and the like, but I felt like spicing up those old and boring recipes. And while at it, I also wanted to turn this into a healthy breakfast bread, so I used whole wheat, less sugar than most other banana breads, as well as incorporated rolled oats, flaxseed, and oat bran to make this bread full of fiber, protein, & omega-3s. Def don't feel any guilt having this for breakfast. Added plus? Landon's a huge fan :)
Makes 2-3 loaves. Prep time: 20 min. Cook time: 60 min.
What You'll Need:
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tablespoon baking soda
- 2 1/4 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup oat bran
- 1 cup ground flaxseed
- 3/4 cups vegetable oil or coconut oil
- 3 large eggs
- 4-5 very ripe bananas
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk (other substitutes: buttermilk, almond milk, coconut milk, or soy milk)
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
*If you don't have all of the above ingredients, you can leave out the rolled oats, oat bran, & flaxseed, as well as any of the chocolate, nuts, or blueberries, which will still deliver a good plain ol' banana bread.
1. Preheat oven to 350. Grease and lightly flour bread pans and set aside.
2. In large mixing bowl, combine all the "dry" ingredients: sugar, flour, salt, cinnamon, baking soda, rolled oats, oat bran, and flax seed.
3. In medium/large mixing bowl mash up bananas.
4. Add eggs to mashed bananas.
5. Add all "wet" ingredients to the mashed bananas: scrambled eggs, oil, milk, & vanilla extract.
6. In medium bowl, combine chocolate chips, nuts, and blueberries.
8. Fold in nuts, blueberries, and chocolate chips.
10. Place in oven for 50-60 minutes or until toothpick comes out almost completely clean. *You gotta watch this bread and at the 50 minute mark keep checking religiously. You don't want the toothpick to come out completely clean or else it will come out too dry.
11. Let cool, cover & freeze if you want to save for later, or just let cool and dig in :) Enjoy!