Lately I've been craving egg salad, but I really don't like mayo. A little research on the internet and I found a ton of really simple substitutes that taste amazing (& so much healthier for you too). After trying a few different variations, here is my new famous mayo-less egg salad recipe.
This recipe makes 1 serving for one sandwich, so you can easily double or triple when making for two or three. I like to make a lot ahead of time and keep in the fridge so when it's time to make/eat, it's all ready for you.
What you'll need:- 2 hard boiled eggs (I would recommend cage-free, vegetarian fed, organic eggs).
- 1-2 tablespoons tahini (this is your mayo substitute, which is just ground sesame seeds. It's found in the ethnic section of the grocery store, & is main ingredient in hummus. If you don't like tahini or don't have any, mash up half an avacado instead - tastes just as good)
- 2 teaspoons brown mustard
- Half a tomato, chopped
- about 1/4 chopped red onion
- Handful of spinach or 1 leaf of kale, chopped
- wrap, bread, bagel, or English muffin
- *optional cheese
1. First & foremost, gotta hard boil the eggs. For some reason, I've always been very very bad at this. But follow these instructions and you won't mess them up again:
- Put your eggs into a pot. Cover with an inch of cold water.
- Bring water to a boil, then immediately remove from heat and cover.
- Let sit for 13 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl of very cold water. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Can either put in a container or baggie and refrigerate, or you can eat them warm if you'd like.
2. While the eggs are boiling, chop up your onion, tomato, & kale/spinach. Add the brown mustard and tahini to your bowl of chopped veggies.
3. When the eggs are done and cooled off a bit, put the hard boiled eggs in the bowl with everything else and mash together. You can add more tahini, mustard, or pepper to taste.